Get to Know re|engage
Check out these answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
- Who is re|engage for?
Re|engage is for marriages, between one man and one woman, in any and all conditions. Every marriage will benefit, whether couples are struggling to get along, the marriage seems broken, or they simply want to grow closer together relationally. Attendance without both spouses present is allowed; however, Closed Groups are reserved for couples who are both committed to the process. Previously married couples who are separated or divorced, but might consider reconciling, are also welcome to attend re|engage. Re|engage is not intended for seriously dating, engaged, or cohabitating un-married couples.
- Is re|engage the same at all churches?
All re|engage churches cover the same curriculum in a Closed Group format, sharing stories of grace and healing through Christ. Because of size or location, some churches may only offer re|engage at particular times of the year. There may be other local nuances, but the key elements of re|engage are consistent between all churches.
- How is re|engage different from other marriage programs?
The goal of re|engage is not primarily to save couples from divorce, or even to make healthier marriages. The goal of re|engage is to fashion couples into better disciples of Jesus Christ. We believe as our hearts better align with God's plan and desire for our lives, all relationships (including our marriages) will improve. Through the felt need for better (or more tolerable) marriages, couples will come looking for help. Ultimately, what we offer them is Christ.
Another difference is that re|engage is a small-groups based ministry. Unlike traditional counseling or mentoring where couples meet with an individual or one other couple, we believe life (and marriage) transformation best occurs in the context of relationships with others.
- What do researchers say about the effectiveness of re|engage?
In October of 2016, researchers from Hope for the Hurting Home published a study about re|engage.
- What training is offered?
There are two kinds of training aimed at different groups:
- Small Group Leaders: Online training videos will provide leaders the basics they need to lead a group. After that, on-going training is provided using video content for each lesson and weekly leader meetings.
- Leaders Overseeing re|engage: We recommend attending the Marriage Ministry or re|engage Training Conference so you can understand the vision, strategy, and mechanics of re|engage. You will also get to participate in a working ministry.
- What does it cost to run re|engage at my church?
The only cost to participating churches is the workbooks. Each re|engage participant needs their own workbook. There are no additional sign-up fees or hidden costs. All other program content, such as video testimonies, training guides, marketing materials, graphics, and teaching outlines are available for free download.
How does re|engage work?
Whether couples rate their marriages as 2s or 10s, re|engage is a safe place to reconnect. Couples are never alone in their struggles, and they see this as they engage with one another in this ministry through:
Large Group | An opportunity for all couples in all phases of the ministry to worship, pray, and learn together. During this time, you will hear couples publicly share their marriage story and leaders teach principles for marriage growth.
Small Group | Couples will then move into a Small Group setting. Different destinations are offered for each stage of the re|engage process. These stages include:
- Newcomers | Offered for first-time attendees, this setting includes leaders sharing their marriage story, explaining the re|engage process, and discussing next steps. This is a safe environment for couples to come and hear what this ministry is all about with no expectation to share.
- Open Group | As couples await being placed into a Closed Group, they will attend Open Group, which offers couples the opportunity to begin working on their marriage. This environment fosters group discussion on different marriage topics while also creating the space to begin sharing each other’s stories. Participants learn the value and ground rules of Small Group.
- Closed Group | When enough couples are ready to join, and a facilitator couple is ready, a Closed Group is formed with 4-5 participating couples to walk through the 14-lesson curriculum together. Once formed, no new couples are added to the Closed Group.
See What Churches With re|engage Ministries Have To Say
"The vulnerability and transparency that re|engage fosters has had a positive impact on our Community Groups and overall church culture."
Pastor of Biblical Community
Grace Church, Greenville, SC
“Re|engage is a great descipleship tool to get the uncommitted, whether inside and outside of your church, connected to Christ and community.”
Pastor of Life Development
River City Community Church, Selma, TX
“Re|engage’s primary benefit is that it works — because it is God- and gospel-centered…"
Pastor of Marriage, Men's, and Care Ministries
Wheaton Bible Church, West Chicago, IL
Didn't answer all of your questions?
Fill out this contact form to let us know how we can best help you and one of our team members will reply as soon as possible.